View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Preflop odds to play speculative hands such as K3s

I think the only reason to play a hand like K3s from the small blind is if you can get in for the 1/2 bet AND there are two players in the hand who will probably go broke if you hit a monster. I feel like OOP with a hand that you will almost never hit without fear of being dominated is just pretty close to worthless. But at NL, especially 6 man, sometimes you find players who will give you massive implied odds. I'm not talking about a run of the mill fish who is too loose; I'm talking about someone who can't and won't lay KJ or a FD down on a K3379 board for stacks after you check the flop. Those players are increasingly hard to find, so this hand (no matter what the pot odds) is pretty much always going in the muck.

If you think about it, even when you hit two pr OOP you are so vulnerable to pure bluffs. There are always going to be cards on the board that are scary to yr two pr, and when a solid TAG bets big your going to be in a pickle even when you hit your hand hard. If you watch how the poor players go broke, its often when they tagged alond with with a dumb hand (thinking "pot odds, I can call a small raise), hit 2 pr, and assume that the solid reg doesn't read it for two pair, but the solid reg has a set when the money goes in, so he really doesn't care which Bingo hand the SB played.