Thread: First good idea
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: First good idea

Edit: I've just noticed my chart image is cropped and missing titles. The middle window is MACD (24,52,18) and the lower one is Williams%R (28).

[ QUOTE ]
Kimchi,

Although I don't understand anything you wrote, I liked it much better than the first TA piece. Here is my take on things

[/ QUOTE ]

That's OK - I don't really understand much of your fundamental analysis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] although I fully acknowledge its validity. It wasn't all TA, I wrote about managing risk too. I was ultimately trying to suggest a better way for your position to be managed and exposing your account to less risk.

How are you managing risk on this position? Since risk is one of the only thing you can control in the market, I believe much of your attention should be devoted to it.

I think perhaps you might see the stock as getting cheaper if the fundamentals were to remain the same, prompting you to want to make further purchases. When you built your initial position, what were your objectives? What were your criterion for selling?

Perhaps you found an undervalued stock and loaded up, but if the market doesn't agree with your valuation (and the market is always right), then there must come a point where you acknowledge that while your analsis was correct, your timing wasn't, and you have to sell to preserve your capital so that you can profit during the times you are right and realise the +EV of your work in the future. Assuming you're down 65% on this stock, you'll need a 285% recovery to return your account to break-even - no easy task.

As I said in the TA vs. FA thread last week, fundamental analysis can provide excellent set-ups but TA privides superior trade and risk management, together with a way to implement disciplined entries and exits. I think using both can be more +EV than either in isolation.

Unfortunately, I know FA about FA [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]