View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: My Epic October Western Motorcycle Ride Trip Report

Part 9 of 9

Saturday October 27. I arrived at Big Bend National Park, my home away from home, the 14th and final national park I would visit on this journey. 14 Parks Woohoo! I'd say I got my $$'s worth out of the park pass. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've now been to many other national parks, but BBNP will always be my favorite. Its so huge, out of the way, incredibly beautiful, with mountains, the river, desert landscapes and much more. If you want to be alone, truly alone, out in a huge wilderness, you can do this at Big Bend. When I die someday my ashes will be scattered in the park. I love it out there.

I made my way down to Rio Grande Village in the park and setup camp there that night, then relaxed the rest of the day.

Sunday morning I decided to move up to the Basin campground, inside the Chisos Mountains. Yes we have some mountains in Texas. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a tasty lunch at the Basin Lodge, took a nap in camp, then went on a nice ride in the park around sunset. An awesome day...

Monday morning, October 29. It was time to pack up and really start heading home.

As I'm leaving the park tho, I see a GS with a sidecar carrying a dog heading my way.. Its Beemerchef and his dog Spirit! I love reading his ride reports, and I truly admire his style of adventure. I made a quick u-turn and flagged him down, we had a great visit, a super nice guy. It was the perfect way to leave the park, making a friend I want to meet again someday on the road.

I ended up riding to Kerrville TX that night in the beautiful Texas Hill Country.. a very popular area for motorcycle gatherings and rides.. But I needed to get home. I got up early Tuesday Oct 30 and finished the journey by arriving in Houston that afternoon, right before the kids got home from school. It was great to be with my family again, after being away almost 5 weeks. This was the first vacation I'd ever had that was truly long enough, and I was very glad to be home. I spent the next day Halloween unpacking, doing laundry, resting, spending time with the family, going trick-or-treating with my younger son and handing out candy. The next day Thursday November 1st I returned to work. Exactly two weeks before I was at the Pacific Ocean for sunrise.

Since then I've felt like a new person, more relaxed and peaceful and healthy than I've felt in years. I really needed that trip!

Can't wait to go on another one soon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Special thanks to -

My wife and kids, who did a great job getting by without me, supported my trek, and just wanted me to get home safe. I made it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
All the great folks at i-bmw.com and bmwsporttouring.com who provide so much excellent advice. I wouldn't be the rider I am today without these resources.
My friend Jeff who helped kick this trip off in style. Lets do it again someday! He was also very helpful getting me started in motorcycling last year. Thx again!
My coworkers who gave me this opportunity to get away, truly away, for over a month. This was Much Needed! Work is much better now.
All the friendly motorcycle riders I met along the way. There are alot of good people in this country. Its great to get out and see the world on a bike.
And BMW, for making the perfect bike of my dreams. May my GT last for many years, hopefully longer than I can ride it. I love this bike!

Take care ya'll.. Allen

the end