View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: the pure bluff thread

[ QUOTE ]

does anyone see anything glaringly wrong on the technical side of these hands, or am I just getting chastised for the stakes I was playing at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt even paying attention to the stakes, and I think hand 3 is terrible. If he folds its cuz he doesnt have [censored], and a much smaller raise than a giant overbet would have gotten him to do the same thing. If hes any decent at hand reading he should realize your hand is a total bluff, what exactly are you repping? There isnt a single hand that makes sense that you would play this way. You dont have a fullhouse because you wouldnt have checked the turn with 2 pair or a set on this board, and you dont have a flush because you wouldnt put in a huge c/r overbet once the board paired. Same with a naked 9. If it worked I think its only because he wasnt even attempting to hand read or he doesnt have anything that would have called a much smaller c/r.

I pretty much try to avoud pure bluffs, every solid player ive heard give advice either in books or CR videos talks about having at least a little something, which makes a lot of sense. the only time I'll do it is if I'm sure hes just on a better bluff than I am. A pure bluff is pretty exhilarating when it works tho, but ask youself are you doing it because you think its the most EV play possible, or just for the rush? Both of which are good enough reasons to do it, just so long as it fits in with what your goal for playing poker is. (for money, or for fun)