View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the CFA program

[ QUOTE ]
did u pass all 3 levels on the first try?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I registered for the first exam my senior year of college, but then accepted a job as an options trader on the CBOE. I was then presented with the option of studying for the exam on top of my regular studies and passing an exam I wasn't sure I'd ever be interested in or enjoying my senior year. I studied probably around 20 hours total. It didn't go well. I passed the next time I took it, several years later when I'd studied properly. I then failed the second exam the first time I took it. I'd had a 103 fever the day before but the truth was I spent all my study time with glossy eyes, thinking I could breeze through the material unfocused and still pass. I didn't make that mistake again and passed the 2nd and 3rd exams the following two years.

[ QUOTE ]
what do u honestly think of a test that you dont know what the passing grade is until AFTER youve taken it? (thats my biggest pet peeve about the CFA)

[/ QUOTE ]
In actuality you never find out the passing grade, you just find out whether you passed or not. It's graded on a curve. I believe the cutoff point is something like 0.7 * the average score of the top percentile of test takers. Some subjectivity still exists, though. I know, for instance, that the cutoff score is reviewed if too many candidates pass. To answer your question, knowing the cutoff point wouldn't have really effected me. There's no way I could walk out and say "I'm pretty sure I got a 65 or better."

I probably should've stated in the OP that I'm not yet a CFA charterholder. I passed the third exam in June and am dependant on the CFA Institute's approval of my required work experience. I expect to receive my charter late this year.