View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Winning in Tough Hold \'em Games

[ QUOTE ]
So one of the main things that you learned from the book entitled "Winning in Tough Hold'em Games" is to avoid them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it reinforced the concept that I always have to be on the look out for a good gamble. That there's no sense in playing without an easily defined, readily identifiable edge.

Prior to Stox/Zobags, I was regularly playing 20/40 to 50/100 online. Now (if playing limit hold 'em) I commonly play as low as 3/6 and my earn isn't very different while my variance is in a very narrow band. Also, I've branched out into LO8, HORSE and NLHE MTTs.

When moving up the ladder of limit hold 'em stakes, I was very mindful of game conditions. After a while I took that for granted and didn't win as much. After a while it became non-sensical to sit in games where table VPIPs were in the teens when I could play other forms of poker or go to a live game where the clock was rolled back to 2004 and seven players were seeing a flop.

I still mix in the occasional online mid-limit hold 'em game, but I'm far more selective.