View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Hiking Trip Report: Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will also say that one of the BIGGEST differences between lightweight and standard backpacking is the choice of footwear. I do all of my hiking in what is basically an older version of this shoe:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...=130&top=1

...and the decreased weight and increased mobility I have is phenomenal. I think the old adage is "a pound on the foot is like 10lbs on the back" and it's one thing I agree with 100%.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I just bought a pair of Montrails ( link ) that are much heavier than that because I'll be hiking solo and was worried about spraining an ankle. Aren't you concerned about that when wearing low top shoes like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The concerns about spraining an ankle due to inadequate ankle support are greatly overstated. The big thing to remember is that with big boots, you've effectively got tanks for feet; you don't have any mobility and while you might have a bit more stability, it will end up with you trudging around a lot more and not being able to react/place your feet quickly to avoid sprains.

I've now hiked over 3000 miles in Montrails with overall weights ranging from 15lb for a 3day section to 38lb for a 12 day hike through the Sierras in high-altitude, snow-heavy conditions, and I've yet to have any sort of ankle problem. In fact, when compared to a great pair of Asolos that I used to hike in, I've had far less rolled ankles. Combine that with the feeling I get when I'm still bouncing from rock to rock at the end of the day at a river crossing, when compared to some of my family (especially my Dad) who still insists on heavy-packing, and I'll take my side over the other side any day.

But like I said, it's definitely holistic. I'd probably go ahead with heavier boots if I were, for some reason, carrying 65 or 70lb. But with a 20-25lb load, there's no reason to go heavy on the feet as well.

Rob