View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

FlyWf,

Obviously they use a bunch of short bus people in that article, which is one of my problems with it. I mean, some of these diploma factories will take anyone, so obviously if you're at the bottom, you're not getting a job.

Thing is, to a lesser degree, the same thing happens at all schools that aren't in the top 10.

I know people in the top quarter at schools like UCONN and Brooklyn or people in the top 1/3 at schools like GW/BU/BC that aren't getting big firm offers and they aren't speds. They got into very hard to get into schools, they beat on 2/3 of the people in their class. They just didn't nail the top or get on a journal. And they are being shut out.

Granted, not everyone deserves a $160k job right out of school. Most don't, probably including the people that actually get it. The problem is, law schools make it seems like you go there and as long as you graduate the choice is up to you. Look at bottom rank schools like Thomas Jefferson that have fake rankings where they somehow come out on top of Yale/Harvard/Stanford. Now maybe someone who buys that marketing deserves to be screwed, but the problem is that its happening to a lesser degree.

How many people would actually go to Loyola or Suffolk or wherever if they actually got to see a 100% report of individual salaries with honest average salaries, etc.

I think when they saw that only 1/2 the people have jobs at graduation and only 10% of them are making more than $50k, they might think twice about taking out those loans. Remember, its not like most of these bottom schools are giving price breaks. You pay the same for Loyola as you do for Yale.

Thing is, you have 50% of the people thinking they can get what is only ever gonna be available to 10%. This isn't some corporate ladder where if you don't make the cut you still got your job, instead you're 150k in the hole, making $40k a year without benefits and trying to cross intersections in front of expensive cars.