View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Hard to quantify sports question

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I think golf is a sport where coaching and practice practice practice are far more important than "talent." There are some really great golfers (Justin Leonard, Tim Herron, to name 2) who seem to have zero athletic talent and just grew up on the range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about those guys but I disagree with the idea that golf somehow takes less talent and relies more on other stuff than other sports.
I could practice golf 15 hours a day every single day with the very best instructors ever and I would still have absolutely zero chance of being even remotely competitive even at whatever level is 1 or 2 notches lower than the PGA level.
Same goes for most golfers imo.

I don't see what the fact of them being good from having grown-up at the course has to do with anything.
Lots of people who 'grew up' at the ball-field or in the ice-rink or at the basketball-court or whatever end up being good at that sport.
Lots of people don't too of course.

FWIW - I had my first set of golf-clubs when I was 6 or 7 or so and I am still the world's worst golfer no matter how hard I tried to not completely suck.

Also, I don't know anything about NASCAR or fishing.
But regarding NASCAR, I'm pretty sure Stewart would end up holding his own decently even with a different team and that some other drivers would not do so great given Stewart's team.
Not unlike how Peyton Manning would still be a good QB on a different team.