View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Hard to quantify sports question

[ QUOTE ]
only partially meanigfull anecdote:

Ted Williams is one of the best hitters ever, he is in the Fishing Hall of Fame, and was reputed to be an elite fighter pilot. All of these (I think) require pretty superior hand/eye coordination and timing skills.

it's probably not an accident that he was so much better at these activities than almost everyone else...which leads me to believe that at the upper levels of competition, innate ability is very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ted Williams is the actual guy John Wayne played in all those movies." -- can't remember who said it, but one of my favorite quotes

Anyway, I think golf is a sport where coaching and practice practice practice are far more important than "talent." There are some really great golfers (Justin Leonard, Tim Herron, to name 2) who seem to have zero athletic talent and just grew up on the range. I would imagine this might be true for race car driving also, bowling, fishing, etc.

But in sports like basketball and baseball, I think size/athletic ability/"talent" is a far more important factor.