View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Stud8 - cleaning up weak high hands in order to scoop

I'm quoting a quoter; enjoy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

4th I have nothing but a low draw and it's not better than what seat 7 is showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. 4th, the better-looking low checks to you. The player in Seat 4 who caught bricks must be given the choice between folding and peeling. The other two players who caught low aren't doing the job; it's up to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes; you aren't really betting on your own hand strength, but you also have a nice board and you could force people out on a later street.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think betting out 5th is also bad. Not really anything high going for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You now have a two-way hand; everyone else has draws to one or the other end of the pot. Every other player bricked. If you are behind for high, you should still bet, a player with a brick and a pair is hard-put to call, and your equity goes up if they fold. If you are not behind for high, you should bet for value. This is a must-bet situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur, I easily bet 100% of the time when I catch good and every other apparent low hand bricked. You do realize you have the best high on board, and everyone has a low door card, right? Even if someone has a big pair, you are the favorite against them one on one

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On 6th I am beat by both players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If those bricks paired either player, your low equity goes up. You very likely have the best high and you may have the best low. If you don't the best low you have a redraw to the best low. You certainly have more than a third of the equity in the pot, so every bet that other players add to it adds to your EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here, being beat both ways is a strong reason to check on 6th. Hero doesn't exactly have a monster draw, and other people can redraw even if hero hits a better low or two pair. I would play weakly here unless I was reasonably sure I wasn't beaten both ways.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7th is what this whole thread is about. By c/r I squeezed Seat 5 out and made A LOT of extra money.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you should make the same play on an earlier street for exactly the same reason. Why give weak hands cheap cards to out draw you?

[/ QUOTE ]

7th was a clever play, but betting on an earlier street may have won you the whole pot early or increase your chances of winning at least half later.

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: In general I don't like playing low hands only. Actually, if I wasn't bring-in this hand goes in the muck on 3rd for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends, but 762 does kind of suck. It's okay against several high hands or against one other low player who folds a lot or for a steal. I do generally fold this hand.