View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Moral dilemma/car dealership help? (a little long)

[ QUOTE ]
"Then he says he wants to come to me man to man and ask what I felt my responsibility in this whole mess is."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised this bit got so little attention in this thread. The last time someone said something like this to me, it was a thinly veiled threat of, if not outright violence, then a pretty ugly scene. Here it sounds like a promise to shame/guilt/belittle you into forking over some dough.

...you've already decided to steer clear of this, but I'll add my own little bit. I've been on both sides of this. I had a dealer call me once about a used car I'd bought, and he told me that they'd made "a mistake" in the final price (how hard is it to subtract two numbers...agreed price on car and agreed price on tradein?) and I owed $XXX. I declined to pay.

Also I worked for a while at a small used dealer's lot (working in the parts dept, not sales), and what I learned was, they don't/won't do a deal that they're not already making money at. The profit's always there, somehow, somewhere; if it's not, they won't do the deal.