View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Things in news stories that bug you

[ QUOTE ]
$6.1 million McDonald's prank call verdict

This one doesn't really bug me, it's more just super bizarre. In this case, a prank caller was calling fast food restaurants pretending to be the police, and getting managers to strip search female employees while on the phone with him. Apparently he did this a number of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart

In this specific case, the caller asked the manager (who also had her boyfriend along) to take an employee to the back and strip, then had her assume a bunch of positions, and finally HAD HER PERFORM ORAL SEX ON THE MANAGER'S BOYFRIEND.

So, two things that bug me about that case.

1) Oral sex, WTF? "Hey the police are on the phone and say you have to blow me, go ahead" WTF? How does that happen?

2) The manager who led the strip search (and had her boyfriend assist her) WAS AWARDED $1.1M IN DAMAGES BY THE JURY, WTFWTFWTF?

BTW, the boyfriend in the case was found guilty and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC, there was a big thread in OOT about this case awhile ago. What I think is insane is this part of the wiki:

"During his interrogation, Stewart insisted he'd never bought a calling card, but detectives found one in his house that had been used to call nine restaurants in the past year, including a Burger King in Idaho Falls, on the day its manager was reportedly duped. Police also found dozens of applications for police department jobs, hundreds of police magazines, police-type uniforms, guns and holsters, indicating that being or becoming a police officer was possibly a fantasy of the suspect.[8] Nevertheless, a jury found Stewart not guilty.[9]"
WTF?!