View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Some top players dislike NLHTAP: Why?

[ QUOTE ]
Who actually thinks "What does he think I'm thinking?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually heard a good regular at a live 5/5 NL game last Wednesday consider calling an opponent's all-in say to himself, "The question isn't really what you have so much as what do you think that I have..." Then he thought, and folded.

So, he does. And I do.

Asking myself questions at the table about "multidimensional pattern modelling" doesn't help me nearly as much when considering an action in response to a possible bluff by a very good regular as asking myself, "What does he think I put him on, and would he bluff here more often as a result of that belief..." (3rd level).

Nor does pondering the phrase "multidimensional pattern modelling" help me when considering making a bluff vs a good, but straight forward player nearly as much as asking myself, "What would he put me on if I push here, and how much of the range I think he has would he fold based on his read of what I probably have..." (2nd level).

The "levels" thing just makes it easy to consider the right questions. Skill and experience vs a particular opponent will tell you how many of those questions to ask.