View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Re: High Schooler Dresses up as KKK member for Halloween

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my college a black guy did this and it was pretty funny, he was really outgoing and well known and was basically doing that whole Chappelle thing with it.

Some random white dude doing it probably would have got his ass beat though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to raise this issue. If the kid was black would the costume have been more acceptable? I think it would have been. He would probably have also been lauded for drawing attention to his forebares difficult past or whatnot.

Let the rise against PC do-gooders commence!

[/ QUOTE ]

Adsman, for as long as I have lurked here your life-story thread has inspired me the most.
Please don't ruin the sheer admiration I have built up for you by resorting to wild/pointless speculation and straw man arguments.

If the kid was black:

- It would still be unacceptable.
- It would be logical to deduce that this was more to do with the kid's misguided notions about right and wrong than lack of empathy with people of other races, just like we deduce for the white kids.
- It would simply be poor manners - forcing an uncomfortable social situation unto others, ie. acting selfish.

We don't live in a world of extremes or easy fits. Every situation is unique, each person's psychology and history different. I cannot fathom that the issue at hand here is whether what transpired was offensive. To me, that is simply indisputable.

The more pertinent discussion point ought to be whether the whole event is even newsworthy, which I would have thought it wasn't. However, by reading the responses here, I'm forced to conclude that it is still too divisive an issue to relegate to trivia.