View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: 3/6 River Decision

If your post is accurate, then it is clear I do not understand stud as well as I thought I did [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
You should have bet fifth to see if that diamond helped or not.

[/ QUOTE ]I really try very hard to never bet only for information, especially in limit. I just don't see that the information I gain is worth the bets it takes to get it. And of course, there is also the question of accuracy of information as well. If I'm villain and I make a 4flush+pair, I am re-raising here a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have made the bet to see what happened, if he raised me I would have folded and saved possible three extra BB.

[/ QUOTE ]Bet/folding seems really bad here, especially if villain is capable of raising 5th for a free card on 6th.

[ QUOTE ]
He might have not bet because he feared the bet would scare you out, which is not that bad of a play.

[/ QUOTE ]Checking behind with a made flush is risking losing the whole pot by letting ME draw out, and only gains if he thinks I'll check/fold AA. It seems pretty bad to me.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe he is drawing, then you should bet and get some value in the pot so that if he missed you get paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]If we are ahead, it seems to me that the value we get is a fraction of a bet because we're never ahead by much. Conversely, if we are behind we are losing a larger percentage because we're often behind by a lot. Of course, we could fold to a re-raise (as you suggest), but then we risk losing the whole pot with the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Those who think checking was a good play on fifth your welcome to play at foxwoods anytime and give me free cards when I have three to a flush on board.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you really think that giving a free card is losing a lot of value if villain was calling anyway, especially when most of the time the bet goes in either way?
[ QUOTE ]
If you move was to checkraise

[/ QUOTE ]No- I was definitely not considering a c/r. I see no reason to try and get an extra bet into a pot where I am at best a slight favorite to win.

Regarding checking 4th, I often do, actually, but in this situation I felt like I caught a good card for my hand and now had a live three-flush that could give me additional outs in case he made a flush or straight. With that I was more comfortable building a bigger pot and tying myself on.

At any rate, you obviously play a lot higher and have more experience than I do, so I question this all very respectfully and am looking for input. If I have it wrong I'd like to know. My approach to Stud is to focus on winning the pot, not squeezing out extra bets. Of course, obviously I like to squeeze out extra bets when I can, or I wouldn't have posted the river question at all, but I feel like checking fifth does not open me up to losing the pot, whereas a bet/folding line does. Of course, I would not have considered bet/folding anyway.