View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: I met a girl last night, she is a high school senior

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely.

I can't imagine giving a crap about some student's speech, either. That's also the part of beauty contests I space out during. Which I thought being valedictorian was supposed to have no parallels with.

Is the next step giving out valedictorian status on the basis of who demonstrates the most self esteem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to clear one thing up. At my graduation ceremony, one student made a speech, the valedictorian. The valedictorian had 0 other responsibilities and did absolutely nothing else other than make the speech. If this is the case everywhere, I do not understand one of two things:

- Why does the valedictorian selection process have nothing to do with speech delivering ability? Not to say that this should be all of it, but shouldn't it be considered?

- Why does the valedictorian make a speech? If it's just an honour given to the student with the highest marks, what is the point of them making a speech?

As I see it, the valedictorian should be a good representative of the graduating class, that is their main purpose imo.