View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Step into the tee box

Strass

I have a request for you and the other posters who have made this climb from beating the 10+1s to beating 10/20 NL and competing in WPT events.

Probably the most helpful thing in the world for a player trying to advance is to see a more advanced player think. Just listening to how you look at a hand and what goes through the head of a better player (like in the 'Play a hand with the masters' threads) does tenfold more work for my game than regular posting. So.

I feel like you hold back a lot. There are many, many times where I just wish you or MLG or Giga would spit out a few more words. Like there is so much more that you could say, that you could write a ten page essay, but often opt for a four word summary and sign your name.

It's hard to lay your game bare, to tell everyone (even some of your competition) exactly what goes on in your head, but isn't that what this forum is for? I feel like you restrict those conversations to your private AIM sessions between fellow acccomplished players, which does little good for the thirsty up-and-coming.

Basically, I know there's a lot more that you can say with every post that you make. I don't know what goes on inside your head but I want to know. There are many players who exemplify the attitude that you describe, whose only goal is to get as disgustingly good as possible, not to be on tv and wear shiny Binion's jewelry, but to be able beat just one more person each day. But they shouldn't have to single out a better player and ask for lessons and practice. That's the point of these boards, that you throw your deepest thoughts out there for anyone and everyone who wants to learn, not just those close enough to you to ask for it.

Actually, I've got an idea. Play and demolish me heads up. We'll play a series of 50+5s (or lower, if you can take it seriously) on stars, as many as you think it takes. Then write a page to the forum explaining in the finest detail what you went through your head that allowed you to beat me. I want to know why I got owned (or luckboxed my way to victory). Because until then, I won't quite be convinced that you're better than me.

Everett