View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: FAO MH - re: Melchiades

[ QUOTE ]
MH,

Two points:

1) I agree with the gist of just about everything you've written and it all makes sense.

2) But when you write things like "a serious concern to all" about something like this, I feel like things are being taken way too seriously. I mean, Yeti made a decision that to him made logical sense (that Melch was likely incorrectly banned) and then took some actions that were probably a little rash and perhaps not too well thought out. At the very least he should have PM'd the banner and left a note about the status. And I agree that there's no emergency need to unban, no big deal if Melch has to wait a few hours. However, as I've said before, I think a lot of people around here get way too worked up about stuff that really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I think a lot of the stuff that gets posted in some of the forums that few people seem to worry about is a much more "serious concern to all" than any of this sort of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your general confirmation of agreement.

It should be a serious concern to all that we have a mod who

1. does his own thing, whatever the debated and agreed procedures are

and then

2. asks what the big deal is that he didn't follow the debated and agreed procedures in some trivial case (if the guy isn't a spammer) or other.

As I believe you have said in another thread, (or two), you don't mind following the rules, whether or not you agree with them, as long as they are agreed and followed consistently.

This is why I am so uptight about this trivial case.

I don't know Melchiades from Adam, but I made a decision, good or bad, based on my interpretation of what was in front of me at the time, (and Yeti still doesn't know all of what was in front of me), and Yeti came along and broke all sorts of mod rules, actual or inferred, with complete and utter indifference to the house rules, which exist whether a subject situation is trivial or complex.

It wasn't many weeks ago that some of us (though not me on that occasion) were screaming that there should be new software added to track which mods were deleting Notes, because it was so irritating that some had "disappeared".

Maybe I and a few other mods do take our roles very seriously, perhaps too seriously? I will consider trying to change in this respect and follow Yeti's lead to simply do my own thing and not worry about what other mods have decided as procedures that should be followed, when I think the situation is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.