View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 2-7 Hand 100-200 at the Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
Very strong player is correct, I think this is a terrible terrible slowplay. One, Bobby might chase anyway (especially on the cheap round), two, you don't give Mizrachi a chance to jam with you if he someone was dealt a pat monster (and pat monsters go hard and far because they know nobody believes they were dealt something that good), and three, if Mizrachi has a breakable hand you want to give him the chance to break and improve. Finally, this is pretty bad for your metagame because what are you doing when you catch an 8 here, a 9?

Oh I cap it pre draw.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

note that I think I play it like you suggest every single time. Your metagame reasons might be the most important aspect as well. Most of your rushes in TD come from showing down tons of monsters then being able to get frisky in position with 9's.

But the position of the pat player in this hand is very crucial. If Rob and JR changed seats, slowplaying would be a crime here, because you can control when JR is facing calling 2 bets cold.

If you do the math and likely scenarios, it's not AS bad as you might think. Largely because of my limited experience with Rob, he's not going to get in a raising war here all that often, since he's not in position to squeeze JR out. That's why if their seats were reversed, it would be a much better spot for you, and not raising after the first draw would be a crime. However, if JR is stubborn and doesn't get squeezed, this is all moot. Never played with him, but obviously he's supposed to be action.

Also, I'd like some discussion about capping predraw. You're going to be 3 betting and drawing 1 with a large range of hands here, doesn't capping predraw significantly hurt your action against 86's down to #3 on later streets? Or is just getting the 2 small bets in that important both for value and to inflate the size of the pot to encourage JR to chase here if you hit? I can't imagine the value alone is too strong over Rob's 4 betting range in comparison to the value lost from essentially turning your hand over. (There's no way for capping predraw not to turn your hand over, because you aren't exactly going to be capping 2368 type hands or worse for deception value since it's just a massive spew)