View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: What will make you happy?

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, a lot of what I'm talking about boils down to them. Women. I know it's cool and 'alpha' to spout lines about ignoring them and not putting them on a pedestal, and for years I believed it. (Although I probably didn't follow it.)

But the more I talk to friends the more I realise that everyone seems almost anxious about the future and the uncertainty of whether they will be happy. Someone just told me he is happy now, but wonders if he will ever be REALLY happy until he marries that perfect girl.

Is that relationship even enough though?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a quote a read from a friend of mine's facebook page (zOMG obv a chick, no guy has feelings wtf) not sure where she got it from but it goes-
[ QUOTE ]
You want to know what happiness is? It's waking up in the middle of the night for no reason, shifting under the blankets and feeling the heat of the person next to you. You turn around and see them in their most peaceful, innocent and vulnerable state. They breathe as though the weight of the world lies on anyones shoulders but their own. You smile, kiss their face in the gentlest manner so as not to wake them. You turn back around and involuntarily a grin forms on your own face. You feel an arm wrap around your waist, and you know it doesn't get any better than this

[/ QUOTE ]
Reading it I couldn't help but like to have something like this.

As for this part-
[ QUOTE ]
Or do you need to have children with that person and see the smile on your son or daughter's face to experience that happiness we seem to crave?

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly. There is at least a biological 'craving' to have offspring (hell, that's why people started having sex in the first place) but for a lot of people yeah, having kids and raising them well would bring a lot of happiness.

I like to use a sliding scale with regards to happiness. What I mean is, you say you're not happy. I would say you're happy, in that you enjoy the life you live, just not to the level you want. For instance a kid living in dorms can be happy even though he'd rather live in an apartment. Someone living in an apartment would be happier living in a house.

Of course, the need for that great relationship with the perfect girl can make all those other things pretty small, even though everything else being equal you are happier with the other good things in life, right?