View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Scuba Diving Africa

South Africa has three main dive sites, all awesome. Aliwal Shoal is sometimes murky but you can dive with hammerhead sharks and other fun little beasties. Hit or miss, but the chance of hitting makes it well worthwhile. Also fun launching from a rocky shore into pretty big swells, so you get the full South Africa dive experience.

Sodwana Bay is an easier dive spot and quite beautiful (think it's the Southern-most tropical reef in the world or something like that). Visibility is usually better than Aliwal, but you won't have the fun of diving with the sharks (although you can see some there, too, occasionally). When I was there, the visibility was basically infinite and the reef looked incredible and there were many many amazing things to see, so I'd highly recommend it - although those perfect conditions are apparently not the norm, it's always very good.

Then off of Cape Town, you can do wreck diving and some other fun stuff, but those are again difficult dives and the water is pretty cold. Apparently there is some great dry-suit diving there, but I don't do that so can't comment from experience.

In Mozambique, I went to Guinjata Bay which was pretty amazing (and very remote - fun to get there). It's somewhat lesser known, but the village has very limited electricity and running water and stuff which makes it very cool and rustic. And the diving was incredible. First dive out, saw a huge whale shark with a young one underneath her. They have HUGE manta rays and many other things there. When I was there, there was a team of about 10 professional dive photographers there taking pictures and film for some documentary, so that should give an idea of how awesome the site is.

If you have any other questions, AIM/email/PM me since I'm not checking this site much these days.