View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Are there enough NYC poker players who care to...

[ QUOTE ]
Robert Iler and other celebs did not bring down the 61st Street club or the other one (other ones?) closed last week. The fact is the police knew these clubs existed and refrained from interfering with their business until the armed robbery two weeks ago. Who do you blame for that? Of course, the scumbags who actually robbed the place. Who else? The owners? the operators? the publicity? the fact that the club was holding bigger games than the other large clubs? I really don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I do blame the owners. They were reckless in how they ran the place and it ended up making things worse for a bunch of other people. Anyone who has been paying attention knows that certain practices are going to bring unwanted attention to the clubs, and cause disruptions to the games. That's the bottom line - players want good games, they want them to be safe and they want them to run consistently.

These people basically wanted to go a different route, cash in on publicity and do it without taking precautions that more responsible owners do on behalf of their players. Their profile was too high.