Thread: pot equity
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: pot equity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, now I understand what you're talking about. In SSHE the authors say something like JJ will win more than 20% of the time against four limpers, so raising is +EV. I was wondering how to adjust that for fewer limpers. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a better way to use pot equity is when you're drawing to the nuts (or close to the nuts). Then you can calculate your pot equity based on your number of outs, and your pot equity is the probability you will hit your draw (i.e., you don't have to play with software to figure out your equity vs. a given number of opponents). In this case, your pot equity doesn't really change with the number opponents, and the decision of whether to bet or raise is influenced by your pot equity vs. the number of likely callers. This is the result of your equity of the future bets. Pot odds and/or implied odds would tell you if you should at least call in trying to hit your draw, while pot equity would help you decide if you should bet out vs. check (or raise vs. call if there is a bet to you).

Example: You have the nut flush draw on the flop (and are behind otherwise), so you have about 36% pot equity, which is the probability of making your flush by the river. If you have 4 opponents, you would want to bet/raise if you expect them to call because your equity of the calls is 36% of the 4 calls (plus yours) which is more than the one bet that you put in (so it is EV+).

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is about pre-flop equity.