View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

Not very creative, and I'm too lazy to write extensive comments, but here goes my favorite 5:

5. Lil Jon, Kings of Crunk
Obviously a lot more clubby and less cerebral than most of the choices in this thread, but i think this is a really underrated album with infused with tons of attitude and catchy beats.

Favorite songs: Rep Yo City, Nothin On, Get Low

4. Jay-Z, Blueprint
This is the album that got me into Jay-Z, so I still hold it above all his other stuff. And he gives props to Big.

Favorite songs: Hola Hovito, Ain't No Love

3. NWA, Straight Outta Compton
Doesn't really need much comment since it's basically on everyone's list. I think I've listened to "Straight Outta Compton" on my ipod more than any other single rap song. Something about it makes me feel like a bad-ass even though I'm just a scrawny white boy.

Favorite Songs: Straight Outta Compton, F*** the Police (duh and duh)

2. DMX, Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood
DMX was the first rapper I was ever really into, and then only after he was forced on me in the army. You couldn't find a game of spades or dominos in the barracks without deafeningly loud rap music playing, and DMX was all the rage at the time. Flesh of My Flesh was a brilliant introduction to the genre for me, and even though DMX isn't the best rapper, few albums that I've listened to since in any genre have had as much depth and soul.

Favorite Songs: Ain't No Way, Coming From, Ready to Meet Him

1. Biggie, Ready to Die
Again, this really doesn't need explanation, but Ready to Die is probably my favorite album of all time in any genre. Not only does Biggie lay down some of the best lyrics in the history of rap, but I think he shows remarkable versatility and everything on this album is executed so perfectly.

Favorite songs: Gimme the Loot, Things Done Changed