View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Is there any book that addresses the typical 1/2 NL game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one who plays 1/2 NL could write a book worth reading. Stick to Sklansky/Miller, Brunson, Reuben/Ciaffone, and Harrington. Figure out yourself what adjustments to make for loose low stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief. You trying to get your face on Mt. Rushmore with Mason and Sklansky?

One of the reasons SSHE has been a great success is because Ed actually PLAYED the games. He worked his way up. David, in the foreward, said it was a book he and Mason couldn't write because they never played in low limit games.

I see you are still making blanket statements without thinking first. This one is a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is a good book, but most of the books on playing low stakes games are pretty worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have to adamantly disagree with you here Betgo. While I can understand that you don't see any of the information in SSHE as ground-breaking, for a new player coming into the game it is a real eye-opener unlike any book I've read. I can say, without a doubt, that I learned the fundamentals of hold'em mostly from Ed Miller's book. I had already read TOP, HOH and others at the time, but Miller had a way of relaying his thoughts in such a clear and concise manner while also having a strong understanding of the fundamentals he was trying to teach. I think his direct experience playing the low limit games was extremely helpful in this case. To someone who has very limited experience playing hold'em, SSHE is a goldmine of information.

I think the same can be said of NLHE:TP. I have enough experience playing the game that the fundamentals the book teaches aren't revolutionary ideas to me. A lot of it is repetitive of things I already understand and I would expect the same can be said of yourself. I learned at least a few new things from the book and other things I already understood were definitely reinforced by reading it. For someone with as much experience as yourself I doubt that any book will really cater to you or teach you anything that you would deem incredible. Even I can't say that NLHE:TP was incredibly groundbreaking to me, but I definitely see the value in the text itself, especially to a player with considerably less experience than myself.

Perhaps you've forgotten where you come from... that there was a time where even Betgo didn't understand the fundamentals of when to raise, when to call, when to fold and when to bluff. Consider the players who most poker books are targeted at... and realize that you're not one of them.

I guess that's what they mean by one man's trash is another man's treasure.