View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: The Right of Privacy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I see what you're getting at.

Something to keep in mind is that as it becomes more common for people to easily dig up that picture of you puking into the bushes or making out with a fat chic, social expectations will change in accordance. Since it's easier to find out that your neighbor likes to smoke pot or your old best friend from middle school is gay, people will just get used to interpreting these things as less of a big deal. I think what you're getting at is actually a good thing, as exposure to other peoples' habits encourages tolerance. I tend to think intolerance of others' personal private behaviors really only exists because people aren't exposed to it. So they're biased into thinking it is a big deal and they need to stop it.

And of course, like Burgundy said, if something is really that private to you, you just don't post it on the internet (or put yourself in a position where someone else could take a picture of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it does seem to me like people have been photographed with cell phones and had those pictures put on the internet when they really didn't want that to happen. I guess that will influence people to start shaping up too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but I think his point was that the reason you are able to insult and judge the people around you who have such embarrassing things come to light is because you are fairly secure in your knowledge that YOUR embarrassing moments were never recorded. As that changes, attitudes will change.