View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Big 1 pair hands - Flop bet called....what now???? help

Hi

Just looking for some good advice regarding hand ranges for villian post flop - especially sets?

I guess I mean the typical situation when you raise 4xBB with AK/AQs or JJ+ etc and get called preflop.

Flop comes and you have either overpair or TPTK.

You then bet flop 2/3 to full pot etc and get called again.

At this point here what is good solid advice for noobs?

I know there won't be a simple answer - but just like cold calling with 72o isnt good poker preflop - I would really like to know how the good players handle these big pair hands once their decent sized flop bet is called?

Should you generally then go into check / call mode or check fold?

With all the people trying to hits sets on the flop and take stacks doing that how do the good players allow for this in their post flop decisions?

Surely part of any villians range who calls a flopbet is the pocket pair of any of the board.

Or do you have to play each hand as if no sets are there and if it happens that just bad luck?

or another way is how could you possibly put someone on pocket 2's on a Kh 8c 2s flop?

I know it will be simply a part villians range and maybe thats what i am getting wrong.

Or a better question might be:

How often would a PSB or similar bet be called on the flop and top pair still be ahead??

I know there won't be a % but would the good players say often / sometimes / or not much?

Sorry if this question is not able to be answered but i have lost some big pots against 22/33 etc hitting sets lately and don't know how I could possibly have avoided it short of giving up on AA when called post flop.

Thanks in advance.