View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Borgata $5K: 88 in SB facing steam raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given his previous desire to leave the table to play cash and his demeanor at the time, I thought he was actually steaming and his range was ATC, which makes me about 70/30. I also figured he'd be doing it on the next hand, so this was my spot to get those chips. I made it 24K to go, BB folded, he called and turned over T9o. My hand held.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it... why is this even a question if you are sure of your read that you are 70/30.

Do you think that you are really good enough to pass up 70/30 edges in a tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anywhere that I was sure of my read. I posted this because at the tournament I asked two players whose games I respect, one of whom is a good aggro player and one of whom is a good tight player, what they would do and got two strongly felt, different answers. My read wasn't based on anything other than what I posted in the OP, so I wanted to see if others would draw different conclusions.

Additionally, IMO the never pass up any situation that is in the least bit +cEV philosophy is a product of the super-fast structures of online tournaments, and I think this is an interesting spot because of the stack depth/buyin. Obviously if I was sure I was 70/30 I would not pass this up, the issue was how sure was I. You for one thought I could easily be an 80/20 dog here. Shannon, who's won quite a bit of money playing live MTTs, thought it was likely to be a flip and therefore not worth taking at this stage in the tournament. Accordingly, due to both the questions regarding the read and the philosophical issues of gambling for tons of BBs early in a deep stack 4-day event, I thought it was interesting enough to post.