View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

I could be wrong about what NT is trying to say (and probably am), but my experience in public schools that I went to (in Houston; not necessarily 'urban' schools, but definite suburbs) seemed to not focus on critical thinking, did not encourage individual creativity or thought, did not promote learning or heavily pursuing interests, and really didn't promote open discussion or 'freedom' of any kind. In fact, I didn't really experience any of this in high school until I went to college, where I think one can choose how much they get out of it.

When comparing my high school experiences and the values taught with the majority of jobs my friends, family, etc.. have, I don't see a large difference between both environments. Most of my high school experiences almost mirror the daily experiences I had and friends/family still have with their 'corporate' jobs. From the amount of hours spent there, rules that cannot be challenged, false ideals, the teachers that wear shirts that light up act exactly like managers who wear shirts that light up, and the teacher with big poofy hair will make subtle attempts to show her cross key chain attached to an American flag with 'One Nation <u>under god</u> just as often as the loan coordinator manager with poofy hair will find ways to tell me about Jesus, even though if I tell her to stop, I am now attacking her and discussing religion at work.

craig