View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: $1 MTT - 4h2d in BB was I right to call shorstack\'s all-in move?

Because of the antes, this is a close decision. I think the call is slightly wrong with 42o, but I think it is a call with 53o, which is only a couple of percent better. So, there isn't any reason to laugh at your play. If it was wrong, it probably was not wrong by a lot, and you got to see what the CO had.

The prize structures of tournaments favor survival, which generally means being a bit more conservative with calls than what the chip counts would suggest. However, this effect is much smaller when you are calling a tiny portion of your stack than when you are calling all-in, and in the latter case, it usually only increases your calling threashold by a couple of percent or less. So, the amount you need to win to make this call profitable in the long run is not much different from the nominal 7935/25770 ~ 30.8%.

Side note: There is an irrational fear and loathing of having a short stack in tournaments. This hand helps to show that a short stack (here, almost 4 BB) can easily bet for value in late position, since the big blind is almost pot-committed with any two cards. In addition, the antes and small blind contribute a large amount of dead money. This means a short stack often gets a chance to get all-in as the equivalent of a 60-40 favorite or better.