View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Help a college student with \'major\' choice

Have you had any jobs? Try getting some internships in something you think you might like. Or maybe just shadow someone at their job for a day.

I remember I thought I might want to be a civil engineer for a while so I went to work with a family friend for a day. That was more than enough for me to know that I didn't want to be a civil engineer.

Talk to other people about their jobs and see if that interests you - family members, family friends, parents of your friends, etc.

I definitely went through many paths before I settled on what I wanted to do. My dad is a general contractor so I was on a job site my entire life - but that was something that I never really had a passion for. Fortunately my dad encouraged me to go to school. I thought about being a civil engineer, but that was a no go. Then I went to school and wanted to go to med school. I starting majoring in bio and basically completed all of the pre-med requirements. I also liked politics though and was majoring in that as well. I took a con law class and we had to do a moot court and I absolutely loved it and decided to go to law school instead.

I don't know if that is very helpful - I guess the point is just to have an open mind and don't be afraid to try different things out because you never know what you will like the most. You must have some general interests - you said engineering. So find a firm and visit it for a day or even get an internship. You'll never find out what you want to do unless you try different things.

GL