View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

Dear House Judiciary Committee Members:

Thank you for scheduling a hearing, November 14, about proposed regulations to direct banks, credit card companies and other payment systems to take certain steps to block payments for unlawful Internet gambling, to implement UIGEA. I wish there were a webcast of this hearing so I could see how my concerns are addressed.

I am particularly concerned with the regulatory burden. The UIGEA does not implement Federal law, but involves interpreting individual state and local laws. The proposed regulations state that it would be too expensive for the U.S. Government to interpret law in each jurisdiction, so recommends placing this expense instead on each and every financial institution. This does not pass the common sense test.

I am concerned that the excessive regulatory burden will also lead to overbroad implementation of UIGEA. Overbroad in terms of lumping jurisdictions together whether they prohibit Internet gaming or not. And overbroad in terms of prohibiting everywhere all types of games that are prohibited anywhere.

I am also concerned about the impact on GATS amid unfavorable WTO rulings.

Thank you for your attention in this.

Regards,
<flight2q>