View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Nice little article introducing neuro-economics

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Effectively , for humans there are no single iterations" .. seems a hi-falootin way of covering up emotionalism. ??

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's trying to cover it up? Most humans are emotional and its illogical to ignore that when we make decisions. I'm trying to get the non-math phobics to stop being so irrational.

If I try to cut a cake in half and chose who gets the biggest bit then you do.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you looking at a different level? Of course his action ( saying 'stuff it, you prk) is rational from my outside view...the researcher. Just as the bird flying away when I open the door is rational, or hortense jumping when I grab him from behind. But at the Hortense level, it's an emotional decision not a rational one. When he jumps up and puts his head thru the glass and loses an eye, I don't think he'll claim.."hey, that was a well thought out, reasoned, heck, even rational response I came up with".

Sure, in the big picture our instinctive actions 'make sense' but they can be ludicrously stupid one-by-one case-specific. Well, they don't even qualify as stupid because they aren't formed by intelligence/non-intelligence, we simply pull our hand back from the fire because it has usually been the right thing to do and it's automatic.
Saying 'stuff it' is in that league.

luckyme