View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Taking out a prosper loan to buy stocks

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest with you, I think this is a horrible idea. Unless you're buying counter-cyclical stocks, the market is a couple percentage points off its highest level ever, so how much further do you expect it to go up?

Plus, you need to dollar cost average or you'll be screwed.

If you have inside information, go for it, otherwise I do not think this is a wise financial decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say, is that as an average investor I completely agree with your analysis. However, I may be over-confident in myself and an almost certain I can beat the market, but at the same time, do not have the records to prove it. I feel like I have constantly picked great stocks over the years, but have never had the money to invest to prove it.

I have built up a solid 401(k) and Roth IRA, but have never had excess money to "play around with", thus the main reason I made this loan request.

My only investment is I bought a few thousand dollars worth of Nintendo (NTDOY) a few months ago at $36/share. I would have bought it a year ago at $18/share if I only had the funds.

I feel I am the T.J. Cloutier of the stock market. I don't do much math but i have an absolutely great feel as to what companies are going to be successful and which one aren't. I'm also still young so I know what trends are hot and which ones aren't (i.e. I can read through the hype on journalists trying to act cool).

For the main reasons stated above, I think I can beat the market. But even if I am wrong, is it worth it force myself to commit to saving the monthly loan payment each month? I otherwise would probably blow about half the payments and have nothing to show for it.