View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

[ QUOTE ]

Firstly, how much better are the NL pitchers than the AL pitchers at batting? Not too much better. But the NL pitchers are better at bunting as they get so much practice.

The main question I have is how good is the average NL pitcher at hitting compared with an average guy that say plays rec baseball or softball? What about the best high school hitters? Average college hitter? Would they bat 9th in most single A minor-league teams or perhaps a bit higher?

You're asking too many questions here but suffice it to say they are a lot better than you could ever know. Keep in mind, many of these guys were great hitters at the college level.

The reason I ask this is that the average for pitchers seems to be about .100 or one hit in 10 AB. I find this to be impressively high. It is actually .131 I believe. I think the average guy would be lucky to get a few hits in 1000 at bats. Ehhh, they'd get more than that. People who have played a lof of rec baseball would do better, but would do well to get a couple hits out of 100 at bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the last statement. I played adult baseball and hit pretty well but I estimate I'd get between 3-7 hits per 100 versus an assortment of Professional-level pitching. And that is if I can use a metal bat. Otherwise probably more like 2 hits as they'd hammer me inside with fastballs and bust my bat to shreds.

Your best bet would obviously be to sit on a pitch, but pro pitchers and catchers can spot the "tells" and sniff that from a mile away and they'll exploit you and any minor weakness you have all the live-long day.