View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Default What\'s the latest news on the state of US credit cards to deposit...?

Cliff's notes: can someone tell me what the latest state of Visa/Mastercard depositing is for Americans? Besides your bank-issued credit/debit cards, are there some consistently-successful 'derivative' visa/mastercord options; e.g. gift cards?

Preparing myself for a long-overdue move to the USA, and I want to bring myself up to speed on the state of credit card deposits.

I talked on the phone recently with Abs, UB, and Bodog, and they all told me the same thing: that credit cards (yes, even US credit cards) are the most frequent deposit method for US customers. When I asked them if they were aware that most US CCs prevent their holders from using them to deposit at gaming sites, reps from all 3 sites said that they were aware that some CCs didn't work, but that a majority (their word, by the way) of US CCs worked just fine...and that some users even found that CCs that had been declined in the past were now working again.

Hearing this, my BS-detector was off the charts, because I figured that if it really was so common to be using US CCs to deposit, i would have heard more about it on these boards. But conversely, the consensus seems to be that US CCs (with a few rare exceptions for some debit cards from Wells Fargo or WaMu) are basically done for, as far as using them to deposit.

Is my understanding of the situation more or less accurate, or is the picture less bleak than I think?

How about Visa Prepaid gift cards...? Based on some 2p2 searching, it seems like a couple months ago, everyone was finding that the Gift2Go cards in the yellow packaging were working just fine (at least at FTP and Stars), and that some people were even finding that cards bought at giftcards.com worked too (although I don't know which one). Has anything changed in this regard?

p.s. are there any "virtual visa" cards that can be bought online either , where they'll then email you the card "number" and expiry date, which have been found to work reliably to deposit?