Thread: 2006 NFL Draft
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: 2006 NFL Draft

[ QUOTE ]
Is Nick Mangold (C, Ohio St) a first rounder? I was watching some of the coverage of Senior Bowl practices and Mel Kiper said he was impressed.

On a related note, why do you see offensive tackles and guards taken in round 1 but seldom centers? Centers handle the ball on every possession and are often in charge of calling the strategy for the rest of the o-line at the line of scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

A solid, big, strong Left Tackle who can move and protect your QB against top DE's is arguably the toughest position to fill in the NFL. You can't teach size. That's why the good one's are drafted so highly. Centers and guards can get by with less size and athleticism and rarely go in the first round.

Mangold did look very good in Mobile. I think he's moved up but I can't see him going before the middle of the 2nd. Mangold has versatility and many think he could play guard or center in the NFL. Max Jean-Giles, Georgia, Jason Spitz, Louisville, Duece Latui, USC, & Daryn Colledge, Boisie State, Greg Eslinger may all still be ranked ahead of him for interior lineman.