View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

My dad

When he was a baby (before he was 2) there was an accident with his older sister and he lost an eye.

His parents were multi-millionaires, but his father died when he was about 13, and his uncle took everything. His mom remarried 6 months later. The step father hated him and kicked him out of the house. His 3 sisters (all married) would not take him in. He was more or less living on the street for his teenage years. Part of this was because of his stubborn attitude. I was told his step dad was going to adopt him if he took his last name, but my dad refused.

Later became a successful accountant, until he decided to invest heavily in real estate and lost everything. Was over a million in debt. For the next 7 years he worked non stop to get out of it. This was during my childhood, yet he was always there for me and my brothers, and we rarely felt denied. Always played with us and took an interest in whatever we did.

he also insisted in paying for lessons in whatever we wanted, and has encouraged me and my brothers to pursue everything from guitar to golf.

Not only did he claw his way out of debt, he is now a deca millionaire, and at the age of 65 is semi-retired. Of the little work he does, it is mostly pro-bono for people in financial trouble. Now he is balling out of control, and is trying to convince me and my brother to fly home during christmas to go to vegas with him and the family, then fly back (I am in india, my brother is in japan).

He also started investing in movies, and recently met the bad guy from karate kid 1. He was considering investing in a movie he was going to direct.

Besides that he is incredibly supportive of his kids, as well as hilarious, unbelievably charming, incredibly wise, and generous. He can discuss just about any subject with insight, and is a really good listener.

He's my hero.