Thread: AC in America
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: AC in America

[ QUOTE ]
Both AC and Atheism have a core belief that there is no higher authority than self.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates an odd misconception of the AC line of reasoning. It isn't like "there is no higher authority than thy self" therefore "AC is what I believe in."

There is plenty of "authority" in the absence of government. It's just that the authority is a more effective form. When I'm in an airplane I yield to the captain's authority. When I'm in a classroom I yield to the teacher's authority. When I'm in my neighbors house I yield to his authority. Etc. It's just that it's clear to us that the result is better when you hold an unwavering respect for property rights, and let property ownership determine authority, than when you vote on how and when and to what degree.

In a loosely similar vein, since our position is one of analytical assessment and not whimsical, feel good regurgitations of social cues that don't necessarily make objective sense, we're also the type of people who are way less likely to act according to the advice from some book or character when that advice defies conventional reason.