View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Calling Pre-flop? Strongly Consider 3-Betting Instead (NLTRN The

[ QUOTE ]
Three-betting gives you a strong chance to win immediately

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with Chicago here, in that I don't believe this statement to be true, generally speaking. Certainly not on Full Tilt. It's a *very* rare opponent that will raise the button and then fold to anything less than an all-in 3bet, so when I do it, it's because my hand is likely to be ahead and I want them to put more money in with hands that are likely to be dominated, not because I think I have a chance to win preflop.

Lots of opponents will play almost any two cards preflop to normal-sized raises (3x-5x), in position or out, no matter what the preflop action is, but will fold the flop to a donk bet if they miss, which means that you can take a shot at the same chips for a lot less risk, and with a much higher chance of success, by flat calling preflop and donking a wide variety of flops.

I pop habitual limpers with a pretty wide range (probably wider than I really should), but I 3bet OOP pretty narrow, unless I see somebody folding to 3bets too often, which I think I've seen exactly *one* opponent do in the past 2-3 weeks, playing $30s, $50s, and $100s. I think my 3 bet range is somewhere around A9+, 55+, sometimes KQ and KJs, but *very* rarely anything weaker than that, unless my opponent is raising the button too often. (which, again, seems pretty rare. Habitual limpers seem to be FAR more common than habitual raisers)