View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

[ QUOTE ]
how the [censored] does he find your house if he doesnt speak english?

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that he does speak english, he just 'forgets' when you start asking him difficult questions. this happens to me all the time.

but someone who doesn't speak english can be trained pretty quickly to read addresses or find buildings, especially if it's in a neighborhood he knows. you only need to know about a 20 block radius in most cities, maybe a little more.

z28, in answer to your question, you give the guy enough that he gets a sizeable extra tip, but not so much that you don't save any money. if he's just a casual friend or a cool bartender and not someone who you know well and get this treatment from all the time, tip a little more. so i would probably leave 35 bucks or so.

being friendly, appreciative and fun to have around is always a good compliment to a big tip when you are getting hooked up (or if you want to start getting hooked up in the future). especially if the bartender makes a lot of money anyway. if you get in the habit of tipping an absurd amount it has a way of escalating and just becomes weird after a while.

most bartenders i know give free drinks because they like someone and can get away with it. the added money is nice, and it varies by the person, but i would say most of the time if a friend is hooking you up, he is not overly concerned with getting a huge tip. so my main concern is not to make him feel like i'm bribing him and expecting to get hooked up every time i walk in the door.