View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Helpful tips for hosting a home game

Lots of good tips so far.

BYOB, but buy a bottle of hooch and have some snacks here and there.

To run it successfully, I feel you have to find the balance between professionalism and "hey, we're just some folks playin' cards". Don't try to make it too much too soon. Start with a small crowd, even just five people, to establish the "card playing" vibe in the space. Then slowly bring in more people. Ask those whose personalities you like to invite others. If newer people see it as an established thing rather than something trying to get off the ground, they'll be more likely to feel honored to be included, thus returning. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, after all.

I recommend against appearing too serious about it, at least at first. Lists and spreadsheets seem a bit much. I keep a couple of racks of chips in an alcove next to my seat (with empty racks on top to make it obvious if someone tries to get a chip out), and I fold the cash in my back pocket. If the count is off, it's my own fault.

As Small Fry said, it's your house, so don't be afraid to bring down the smack. Be firm but compassionate with rulings. Refer to Robert's. You can't please everybody, but you can please most people. Make decisions for the good of the game as a whole.

But basically, be a nice friendly trustful person. Don't be too psycho serious, don't be a total disorganized slacker. Be a good host.

Keep as few chip denominations on the table as possible. No need for 50c when you have quarters. No need for dimes with nickels.

Play good music, but not too loud.

Thank people for coming.