Thread: LEGALIZE IT
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: LEGALIZE IT

[ QUOTE ]
First, If you think it was I who was arguing that hard drugs shouldn’t be legal because people end up on the streets begging for money, you got it wrong. I only stated the fact. I drew no conclusions from the fact that people beg for money when they want hard drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, you didn't state that, I figured that's what you were implying.
[ QUOTE ]
Even if the government magically made all drugs legal ( which I support ), why would meth prices come down?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's on a black market. They have to spend a lot of money defending themselves from police knocking down their doors. If they get caught dealing they're screwed by current laws. They also don't have access to legitimate arbitration and courts, which usually leads to more violence. They also can't operate in the same effecient manner legitimate businesses can (ie, you don't see sneaker dealers selling shoes on strett corners do you). All of these not only drive up costs and in effect prices, but also the risk associated with dealing. Since there's more risk involved (a) On average more intelligent people move on to legitimate businesses, leaving less intelligent people with on average less efficient business models and (b) those that do participate want more money to make up for the added risk, passing those costs on to the consumer (Would you rather make $50,000 doing something legal or doing something illegal, how much more money would you have to be making to make up for the risk associated with doing something illegal?)
[ QUOTE ]
Legit companies would sell pot, but no company in their right mind would sell meth. They would be subject to a nightmare of liability issues, .

[/ QUOTE ]
What liability issues?