View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: To soon to meet the family????

Even saying "you're correct...I'm going" I still can't help but think this whole thing is retarded.

Her family understands that you aren't exactly married yet and have only been dating a few weeks. What's the big deal.
And why on earth are so many people saying, "this is bad. you need to find a way to get out of this"??

This is all really weird.

People have been known to invite acquaintances from work or other random people over for thanksgiving.
I've been invited to different thanksgivings before by people I really didn't know that well.

I also don't see what's so big a deal about meeting the parents early as opposed to late. So freaking what.
It's not like the 4 of you are taking a 6-day vacation together to some cabin after only having dated for 2 weeks. Now that would be kind of weird.

But just meeting them or having dinner is no big deal. People are supposed to be somewhat social and sort of nice.

When me and my GF started dating it was just a few days before her birthday.
So on her BDay she said I was welcome to join her and her Mom and brother at some steak restaurant. I asked if that was awkward or anything because we had only been dating a week. "Meh, no big deal. They know we've only seen each other a couple times. But I kind of have to have dinner with them that night and then you and I can go to a movie or something afterwards."
No pressure really. Just be a normal person. Does it somehow mean there is more pressure on me if I later decide I want to break-up with her just because I have now met some of her relatives?

Some of the comments in this thread about how important it is for him to get out of going to dinner really blew me away. If it's a larger gathering than just find the most senile and weird in the whole bunch and strike up a conversation with them for kicks.