Thread: Joe Horn?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Joe Horn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that you are liable in civil and probably criminal court for setting a trap that results in death. I'm curious why Alex thinks otherwise. I would think everyone could agree is that lethal force is only justified to protect your life. An intruder killed by a trap usually doesn't qualify because the owner is usually well away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any cases where the people who'd set the traps also put up signs announcing the danger that awaited the robbers? Would this make a difference in the eyes of the court if there was a clear warning to criminals that they would be shot upon entering?

[/ QUOTE ]
From the few law classes I've had till now, I highly doubt it would matter whether there was a sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wouldn't matter, because you cannot legally shoot someone for entering your home until you've established they mean to do your serious bodily harm or kill you.

Along the same lines, businesses can post all the signs they want that say "No Firearms Allowed" but if you have a CCW permit, and the particular area is one in which you're allowed to carry a weapon, you cannot be arrested for carrying a weapon on that property.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those things are completely absurd.