Thread: 55 UTG
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 55 UTG

here are my reasons for folding
1) this is the same situation where the question is whether you would want AK UTG or 72 on btn.
2) Live players may be nitty, but this is a 10-person table and live players will sometimes call huge raises b/c they "just dont believe you"
3) This was stated later by betgo, but he shoved 66 in strange spot as well so he is more likely to get looked up by hands that beat or are in coinflip with 66 that they might not originally
4) Were any of the big stacks in the blinds? If so, I dont like the shove as much b/c they are more likely to call
5) Balto i understand where you are coming from, i mean how can someone call with a marginal hand when you are shoving from the 1-HOLE!!!!??? (Hellmuth reference intended). But you will get looked up by some strange [censored] in poker.
6) Arent there much higher +EV situations here other than a shove UTG? I mean the blinds wont cripple you enough that I think that you HAVE to shove here UTG.

Also, here is some food for thought:
Lets take 2 hypotheticals: 1) Tight-nitty table (2) loose table

1)
a) Your UTG steal(?) will work most of the time b/c they are so nitty they wont call. When you do get called you are usually waaay behind or at best a coinflip.
b) You are now co/hj/btn and folded around to you (more likely cuz they are nits). Your raise will take this down a very high majority of the time and the chances of the blinds calling your shove is a lot lower since its only 2 ppl instead of 9.
2)
a) You get looked up by any pp (most of which you are behind). You are getting looked up by KQ+ (maybe KJ) and are at best a coinflip in most scenarios. In this case its obviously -EV.
b) CO/HJ/Btn, you have to increase your ranges by a little, but you can still shove Ax and have a good chance to increase your stack v 2-3 ppl.

It just seems that in either a lively or nitty table, waiting till the blinds pass will allow you to increase your EV significantly