View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: The best o8 nl hi/lo player on full tilt

[ QUOTE ]
I agree Mendacious. In NL a fish can negate their lack of skill by pushing. The fish usually have the toughest time figuring out where they stand post flop and by playing a TAG style they can just push the premium hands and gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that isn't what I meant. What I was trying to say is that the difference between a good TAG and a good LAG is the ability to handle situations like problems of deep stacks and ambiguous situations where it is unclear whether you want to build a pot or not, and where the odds may change dramatically from flop to turn and recognition of what to do in these situations where there is decent money in the pot, but still decent money in their stacks as well. NL simplifies this because it requires much less feel to understand your odds on the flop with two cards to come against a range of hands than it does when a brick comes on the turn and you are up against a LAG opponent who could have a lot of holdings and has already bet the pot, called or raised on the flop.

One of the great difficulties in PL08 is that on the flop you usually have a good idea of where you stand, but with 2 cards to come there is great potential to still make or miss a hand.

A classic example is a hand which flops a low draw and the nut flush draw. (Probably the most popular type of hand to play for). If you can get all-in on this type of flop you always should. In PL however, many times your opponents will not let you get all-in and you can face a MUCH more complicated decision on the turn if you brick (especially if you are playing A3 not A2), or, a good opponent will fold if you hit your flush. There are numerous hands like this that are easy to play on the flop if you can get all in, and very tough to play on the turn when you brick and easy to get away from by good opponents when you hit. So to my way of thinking, NL takes a lot of the hard decisions that LAG’s exploit to justify their looser style out of the equation.