Thread: South Point TR
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: South Point TR

I play poker and in the pit at SP often:

The original plan for the poker room was to temporarily keep it where it is currently located. The Coast plan was to put it where the new showroom is. When Michael Gaughn bought the place he decided he wanted it left where it is. There is a huge walled off space behind it (and the race and sports book) that will be opened up when the new tower is completed. My guess is the poker room will stay where it is.

You are exaggerating a bit on the lighting. It is not the best but certainly not like a spotlight is on you. As for table size. it only sucks when the tourneys seat 11. The main gripe about the poker room is the climate changes from one end to another. One side is pretty chilly, the other slightly warm.

As for how many tables, what time were you there? By 5PM on any given weekeday they have 6-8 tables going with 3 being NL. For NL, they've been spreading more 2/5 but it is still mostly 1/2. It is way better than it was when it opened nearly two years ago. I wish they would spread more games but for a locals joint, it is fine.

Without knowing how long your uncle played it is impossible to question the steakhouse comp he requested. I can only speak from my personal experience but I've had no problems with comps when I feel (and obviously the house feels) that my time and wagers warrant it. We've had some great threads on this board about comps and I think you will find that getting a steak comped anywhere takes much time and effort and per hand betting. $100/200 is not that special.

Finally, I'd be curious to hear from others but I've never had problems with the cage EXCEPT when they don't have someone at the chips only window and the line is filled with people wanting to cash their payroll checks. Cashing $1500 is nothing to them. I'm not doubting your experience but you seem to be piling on here.

Ironically, the one thing you think is excellent, the food, is the only area I criticize them for (well, that and some of the approvals you have to get at the sports book). With the exception of Michael's and the deli, the food pretty much sucks.