View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Pooh-Bah post: Level 0 exploitation

Glad to see you joined in ChicagoRY.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a villain 3-betting preflop and then checking the flop means he's automatically super strong "overpair."

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not always mean that. If the board did come up different, say 743, wouldn't you be willing to check behind and keep the pot small? This would allow us to lose the least from a large pair and induce bluffs from missed hands like KT, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Especially at the lower levels, I think it would be a big mistake to assume that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this play all the time. I do believe it is a huge mistake to auto-bluff when they check to you. It is a trap that I think we could often fall into. Obviously, with meta-game considerations, we need to deviate.

[ QUOTE ]
And I think it is -EV against most players to call a 3-bet with A8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you probably are right, especially in the later levels, but on the first hand, I am trying to think how they would play better hands. Over-all, it seems that I will often face a shove here, which I would be retarded to call.

This is one of those things of what ranges we are facing versus a typical opponent. It may be very thin, but when we consider that hands like AK, AQ, KK, etc would straight out open shove, or raise an inhibiting amount, the balance is shifted.

I can't stand the thought of arguing with someone I know plays better than me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]